Birthdays, Beetroot and Cake

I've been a little absent from the blog for the past month, but I am still here and plodding along with my sewing and baking and a little birthday celebrating.





We celebrated Miss Anya turning 2 on Wednesday, with a cake and afternoon tea with the family. It was an unusually quiet gathering compared to our normal birthday party noisiness, though a perfectly pleasant afternoon.


With a fantastic cake. Her favourite book is 'Where is the Green Sheep' by Mem Fox, and green is easier coloured icing to make than the red and black for the ladybug I was originally going to make. She can have a ladybug another time.





Well, the cake tasted deeeelicious. It tasted so delicious 2 days later, so I really had to share the recipe with you...again. I first blogged this same cake here, but since I had extra beetroot puree, I decided to increase the quantities and make a slightly bigger cake which was even better than the first!


Did I mention it was delicious?

Choc Beet Cake, Upsized
115g dark chocolate
4 eggs
400g sugar
320ml sunflower or olive oil
400g pureed beets
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
40g dark cocoa powder
270g plain flour
2 tsp bi carb soda
1/4 tsp salt

Melt dark choc and leave to cool.
Combine eggs, sugar, oil in large bowl and beat with whisk. Add pureed beets and vanilla.
Add sifted cocoa, flour, salt and bicarb soda and stir until combined.
Pour into greased and floured large round cake pan. You know, about "that big"
Bake at 180degrees for about 60min. 
It might take a bit longer, I didn't actually check the time when I put it in the oven. The top did start to crisp up a bit much but with icing on top it was fabbo.

You can find the original Ross Burden recipe here at Veggie Belly

Uncle Adrian at a huge slice. We didn't tell him it was beetroot cake, because he doesn't like beetroot cake. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!

Popular Posts